As referenced in the Syllabus a research and writing assignment is required of all federal and Texas government students. The due date for this assignment is not later than Monday, April 20, and must be submitted on eCampus under the tab Term Paper. Students may use either style of paper they prefer; however, I would like a title page and bibliography page and a paper of at least 4-6 pages in length, not including the title page and bibliography pages.
Students must select a topic from the list below
- Reform of the nation’s health care system, including Obamacare . With the Democrats back in control of the House of Representatives in 2019, what proposals will they entertain such as “universal health care” and “Medicare for all?” What will the Supreme Court rule on the constitutionality of Obamacare if asked to decide again in 2019?
- Illegal immigration and the “border wall” proposal of the Trump administration. What should be done? Is building a border wall important or not? Why is legal immigration good for the economy? Why is border security just as important?
- Tax reform efforts under the Trump administration. What have the tax reductions in 2018 accomplished? What further fiscal reforms are needed to improve the US economy?
- Climate change–what is it exactly and how has national policy changed under the Trump administration? Has the “consensus” of opinion about the severity of climate change impacts begun to move away from the most catastrophic predictions to something less harmful to earth and human beings? Do you agree or disagree?
- Supreme Court justices and rulings–how are these expected to change under the Trump administration, especially since Trump has been successful in nominating two conservative justices to the Supreme Court thus far?
- Political bias in the “mainstream” media–how extensive is it and what is “fake news?” Is bias in the media both in newspapers and online sources a real problem? Do you trust the media to be honest? Why do the media and Trump dislike each other so much?
- What should the Trump administration do about the nuclear threat posed by North Korea? What about the United States role in combating human rights violations in such countries as North Korea, China, and Russia?
- What will be the impact of the special counsel’s (Robert Mueller), investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 Presidential election? Will the Trump administration be charged with criminal collusion with the Russians? Is this a real problem or a political “witch hunt” by Democrats to set the President up for impeachment by the US House of Representatives in 2019?