You have just been hired as an administrator for a relatively new research-based healthcare delivery organization. This healthcare organization has three facilities in your city and serves at least a million patients each year. Before you came on board, there have been some challenges that have led to significant waste and increasing patient safety concerns. One such challenge cost the organization $5 million as a result of the data breach. In your very first executive meeting, the hospital board members iterated their concerns around the increasing waste and patient safety issues. Apparently, the issue has the potential to significantly hurt an organization’s bottom-line if it continues. Some of the board members believe that the organization will do better if the organization can build a culture of quality that is data-driven.
As a result, you have been charged with creating a strategic improvement plan that includes data collection, data governance, and evidence-based decision-making components.
To ensure that you develop a reliable data governance plan, you have decided to conduct an assessment of your organization’s current practices and to determine if there were any previous concerns about a data breach. During your assessment, you learned that there have been repeated issues around data breach within your organization. In one such incident, over one thousand Personally Identifiable Information (PII) was lost in one of the three facilities that you manage. In another incident, a consultant employed by the organization was able to access patients’ data that they were not supposed to see.
To ensure that you get the buy-in of your board, you decided to put together a PowerPoint presentation that you will deliver to them in your next executive meeting.
In this presentation, be sure to address the following:
- A demonstration of the implication of data breach (financial, reputation) to healthcare organizations in the United States.
- Legislation aimed at promoting data privacy and security (directly or indirectly)
- HIPPA Privacy and Security Rules
- Research regulations
- At least three things that need to be in place to ensure improved data privacy and security within the organization
- At least three best practices that your employers should adopt to ensure patient privacy is maintained at all times
- An appropriate data governance model (chart) that you can create. It should not be the chart previously presented in the course.
Length: 8-12 slides
References: Include a minimum of 5 scholarly resources.
The completed assignment should address all of the assignment requirements, exhibit evidence of concept knowledge, and demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the content presented in the course. The writing should integrate scholarly resources, reflect academic expectations and current APA standards